Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Champagne Tap!

I was on call yesterday and got my first-ever champagne tap! For those of you not wholly versed in medical lore, a champagne tap is when you have no red cells in the first tube of cerebrospinal fluid you collect when doing a lumbar puncture - in other words, a perfectly executed spinal tap. And, my attending makes a point of buying a bottle of wine for whoever gets a champagne tap - yay! It was definitely the highlight of the month so far (and definitely prettier than my last tap, which had ~ 20,000 reds cells in the first tube - ouch). Just another day in the life of a peds resident, I guess - never boring!

7 comments:

Jenna said...

you're a dork! but congrats on your perfect tap.

Jenna said...

BTW - you totally spelled one of your links wrong. I'm not gonna say which one, so you have to learn and fix it yourself. I should be a teacher.

Anonymous said...

Wow you guys are nerds, but I really like it! By the way I thought I would share my blog...
http://mfarles.wordpress.com/

William Flinn said...

Jenna...speaking as a teacher, I agree....good advice!

Lianne...congrats!

Brian said...

GO LIANNE!! If I ever need a spinal tap, I'm calling you! Miss you lots and am so so excited to see you soon!

Rach

emily said...

nice job Lianne!! You're performing spinal taps. that's so grown up!

Thomas said...

I got my first champagne tap today too. Lack of any recognition from my seniors so I googled it and came up with this!

Can I have a glass of yours?